Choosing among the various online schools for medical assistant training can be a challenge, especially if you’re not familiar with the schools to begin with.
The following guidelines should help you make a good decision in choosing the best online schools for medical assistant degrees.
1. Accreditation: Most online schools for medical assistant training will claim to be accredited, but the only accreditation that matters is from the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES). No other healthcare school accreditation bodies can proctor the CMA Certification Exam which is administered by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA).
2. Reputation: Do some research online and check whether the school you’re considering is listed as a top-ranking school by respected bodies in the medical assistant field.
3. Course Offerings: The various online schools for medical assistant degrees have different course offerings and some may not fit your career goals. Choose a school that teaches what you want to do. This may seem like common sense, but it’s easy to get caught up in excitement about a school and lose sight of this seemingly simply thing.
4. State Regulations: Make sure the school you’re considering meets the regulations for your state; all states have different requirements.
5. Tuition: While tuition should not be the main requirement for choosing an online school for medical assistant training, tuition and fee amounts do vary widely, and you should take this into account and choose a school you can afford.
6. Program Length: It’s not only a matter of program length, but also schedule. Some schools are more structured than others, and you may need to go with a school that allows more flexibility and allows you to work more on your own time.
7. Hands-On Training: All online schools for medical assistant degrees offer hands-on training, but you want to look carefully at what training is offered, and how much time is devoted to it. Your job will be very hands-on and you want the best training you can get to prepare you for your work.
8. Career Placement: While direct connections with employers would be great, at the very least you should expect help with your resume and job search to get hired.
9. Internships: Some online schools for medical assistant training offer internships in actual medical facilities, which serves as great training and a reference when you begin your job search.
10. Faculty: Research the faculty and their background, to insure they know what they’re teaching and are well-respected.
If you follow these guidelines you should have no trouble selecting great online schools for medical assistant degrees.
[listly id=”JOC” layout=”gallery” show_header=”false” show_author=”false” show_sharing=”true” show_tools=”false” per_page=”20″]